AFRA is a leading land rights organisation in South Africa, having been established in 1979 to oppose the eviction of black people under Apartheid legislation and policies. Today, we continue to serve the interests and needs of rural people, with a primary focus on farm dwellers. We are seeking to appoint an energetic, confident, responsible and efficient individual to join our team, who will bring a welcoming energy to our front desk.
A detailed and well-written letter of motivation, a Curriculum Vitae, and three contactable references from previous managers should be submitted to Laurel Oettle on email@example.com with a cc to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 23rd November 2018.
AFRA reserves the right not to make an appointment; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AFRA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and historically disadvantaged individuals are encouraged to apply. For more information on AFRA, please refer to www.afra.co.za.
Title: Receptionist and Administrator
Location: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reports to: Office Manager
Start Date: 2nd January 2019
Salary range: R78,000.00 – R85,000.00 (on a total cost to company basis)
Duties of the Post
- To report to, and be accountable to the Office Manager;
- Attend all organisational and external meetings as required;
- Implement AFRA’s mission, vision and strategy;
- Adhere to and apply all AFRA’s Policy and Procedures.
- Receiving visitors in a friendly manner, and ensuring they are assisted;
- Keep the Reception area tidy and welcoming;
- Answering calls and operating the switchboard,
- Taking accurate and detailed messages, and passing them on timeously;
- Print out and distribute monthly staff telephone usage reports, and inform the Office Manager of any excessive usage.
- Administrative Support:
- Assisting all AFRA staff across a range of administrative support needs;
- Updating and emailing staff timesheet templates each month prior to month end;
- Filing and Resource Centre management;
- Support to the Office Manager to apply systems and procedures of the organisation;
- Arranging supplies (stationery and office consumables), maintenance and repairs (checking availability of cartridges/toners);
- Logistics and travel arrangements such as flight/ accommodation bookings, vehicle & equipment hire;
- Organise workshops/meetings, including catering/venue hire;
- Faxing, scanning and photocopying;
- Capturing data in management information systems;
- Creating and maintaining databases as requested;
- Reporting appropriately and pro-actively on completed tasks;
- Taking and distributing minutes of internal and external meetings as requested;
- Maintain and update the AFRA Asset Register under the direction of the Office Manager;
- Making photocopies of Funder documents as requested;
- Keeping staff leave / attendance book up-to-date.
- Financial and Procurement Support:
- Source appropriate quotations for services and supplies as required, collate them neatly and make clear recommendations regarding most appropriate procurement options;
- Maintain the Preferred Supplier database;
- Provide any other Finance and Procurement support requested by the Office Manager.
- Vehicle Support:
- Do a monthly check that the vehicle log book has been accurately filled in by all staff;
- Ensure the vehicle keys are accurately signed out and returned;
- Make arrangements as needed for vehicle services and repairs;
- Manage the vehicle booking system;
- Maintain the Tracker system and conduct monthly randomised checks against log book records;
- Complete the vehicle log book spread sheets each month and submit them to the Office Manager within 7 days of the new month beginning.
- Board Support:
Assist in all administrative matters related to quarterly Board meetings, including:
- Booking a translator for Board meetings;
- Confirming attendance and apologies for meetings;
- Booking accommodation for Board member;
- Ensuring travel and subsidy refunds are prepared and distributed;
- Sending documents – electronically and by any other means needed – to Board members;
- Ensuring the compilation of Board Packs for meetings;
- Compiling and distributing Meeting Minutes, and ensuring they are signed.
- Educational Qualification
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Professional Experience
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
- Core skills
- Excellent IsiZulu & English language skills, both verbal and written;
- Ability to perform well under pressure, work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to problem solve;
- Willingness to travel and work weekends/after-hours;
- A positive attitude and desire to be part of and contribute toward strengthening the organisational team;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- A Valid drivers licence would be an advantage.